Sunday, June 27, 2010

"Okay, But You Have To Hold My Cup"

My brother, receiving the Sportsmanship award for his team. Coach Dave on the left, and Ken on the right.

I know, I know, I know. I blog about my brother's baseball team a lot. A LOT. But it's hard not to, especially when I'm so close with my brother, and they're doing SO well. And man, what a fantastic day.

It all started at about 10:30. I got up, and went downstairs to help my mom chop fruit/vegetables for the team picnic we were having at my house that afternoon. When I was finished, me and Tony went down to the field to watch the game before his--Lou's team against Rich. We went to cheer Rich on, because if Lou lost, he'd be out of the tournament, and as I've said before Tony HATES Lou. When we got there, the field was bare. It would've been only 30 minutes into the game. Turns out, Lou had to FORFEIT because he didn't have enough players. It was awesome.

Then they had their game. And we won, 11-9! It was close, but everyone was so pumped. Especially since Dazon (Day-Day) came back, after being gone for like 2 months. Even after he got hit by a TREE a few days ago during the tornado that hit Bridgeport! Despite that, he pitched great. It was nice to have him back. And Kyle Canfield break-danced! Amber made him promise he would if we won. Amber started ragging on him about it, so he said, "Okay, I'll do it, but you have to hold my cup." After a lot of apprehension, he did this really cool no-handed cartwheel thing.

After that was the party. It was unbelievably fun. Both the kids and parents had a great time. While there, Ken handed out trophies for the team. It was there that Tony got the Sportsmanship award. It was a unanimous decision between the coaches. I was so proud.

About 3 hours later the boys decided they wanted to watch the Florida vs. Alabama game (the winner is who they'll be playing next). After much discussion over who would go in what car, (they thought they could pack 6 kids in my car, including Mike and Amir... NOT happening) I took Tony, Amber, Kyle Carriero and Kurt. The whole way there, they boys danced to Crystal Castles in the backseat (Tony has become fond of "Vanished"). We laughed the whole way there.

Once there, we hopped the fence of the little kid's field and me, Tony, Amber, Kyle, Kurt, Adel, Amir, and Mike played baseball with a tennis ball. Well, THEY did. I decided not to embarrass myself, despite their insisting. I said that I'd be Lou, so I threw my purse on the ground and bitched about every strike. When Amber went up to bat, I yelled, "AMBER BE FRANK!" She complied by watching every strike go by, and yelling, "THOSE WEREN'T STRIKES! YOU SUCK!"

The night ended with Alabama beating Florida, which was shocking but good for us. We cheered on Alabama while playing catch. I really feel like I got to know all the kids better. They're all really great. Right now, we're undefeated in the tournament, and when we beat Alabama on Thursday, we're going to the championship. It was an amazing day.

No one deserves it more than these kids.



Tony with his award. Amir to the left, Mike looking over the fence behind him, and I believe that's Logan's head poking out behind Tony's shoulder.

2 comments:

  1. This post is so cute. And he looks just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I KNOWWW. People can tell he's my brother without even being introduced, it's crazy.

    ReplyDelete